Would you like to source like the best? Here are some habits that, I believe, best Sourcers demonstrate while performing their searches. (We teach these practices, along with numerous examples, in our Training Webinars.)
- Best Sourcers spend a good deal of time figuring out what to search for (for example, terminology, job titles, company competitors, target schools, certifications, etc.). (Ideally, they are able to verify with the HM!)
- They spend a good deal of time figuring out where to search (for example, associations, conferences, industry social sites, Facebook groups, etc.)
- They use their imagination. They imagine what the search results look like, then search for “that” (vs., for example, copying some keywords from a job description into the search box). This mindset – “search for what you expect to find” – is key
- They spend a reasonable amount of time adjusting (modifying) their searches so that the results are useful. (They are not after a “perfect” Boolean String)
- They use search results to expand the search in new directions (for example, notice terminology, memberships, or certifications and run additional searches)
- They notice additional sites or sources in the search results to examine further (for example, if they run across a profile on a membership site, they might also look at other members on the site)
- If they see unexpected results, they stop and try to figure out the reason (Did they use the right syntax? Is it a bug or some odd behavior of the search system? If so, what is the scope?)
- They make sure they know what can and cannot be found, and where. (For example, we can’t X-Ray LinkedIn for postal codes, but can for current job titles)
- They know how to interpret searches with no results, or no relevant results. (For example, most people in a given profession within a location may not be present on LinkedIn. Or, some country does not host a conference on a particular topic – it happens elsewhere)
- Last but not least, they think while they search 😉 (I expect Glen Cathey to agree with me on this one).
What do you think about these ten habits? Do you have them? 😊 Would you add something else to the list? Please comment.
Article Origin: https://booleanstrings.com/2019/02/04/10-habits-best-sourcers/?fbclid=IwAR1cUVNQgco5Z-xK791YGkwszVJ8NmceYp8V8TfN6h558GN3s6ZvL2znTTs
Leave A Comment